What You Need to Know If You’re Hurt on the Job in North Carolina

Hurt on the Job | Mike Lewis Attorneys

If you have been hurt on the job in NC, you may be eligible for workers’ compensation. However, the process of filing for workers’ comp is both complicated and fraught with restrictions. It is very common for employers or their insurance carriers to deny or reduce the amount of compensation at first, and both the initial claims process and the appeals process have to be accomplished in a very short time frame. If you are filing for workers’ compensation in North Carolina, here are the steps you’ll need to take.

What to Do First When You’re Hurt on the Job in NC

As soon as you are aware of an injury, illness or accident that is related to your work, apply first aid, seek medical treatment and inform your employer. It is important to ensure that the illness or injury will not get any worse, and the most common reason given for denied workers’ compensation claims is that the employer or the insurance company was not informed quickly enough. If you inform your employer of the problem right away, your employer will be less able to delay informing the insurance carrier until the time limit expires. If your employer does not have on-site medical treatment facilities and you go elsewhere for treatment, you must tell your healthcare provider that your condition is work-related so that the medical costs will be billed through the appropriate channels as a workers’ comp claim.

The Next Few Days

North Carolina workers’ compensation law requires you to provide your employer with a written notice of the accident or injury within thirty days of its occurrence; if it is an illness or condition that has built up over time, such as hearing loss or exposure to a toxic substance, then count from the date that you discovered the problem. The notice does not need to be long or complicated—it should include the date of the accident or incident and a short description of the illness, injury or condition. Make sure to keep a copy of this notice, and if possible, some kind of documentation that shows when you sent it to your employer.

Claims, Denials and Appeals

At any time after this written notice, but before two years pass, you will need to file a formal notice of your claim with the North Carolina Industrial Commission using the state’s Form 18, available at ic.nc.gov, and send a copy to your employer. You should keep a copy of this notice as well.

Unless the NCIC gives an extension, your employer must respond to this notice within 14 days of receiving it, with one of three other state forms. If you receive Form 60, your employer has acknowledged your right to compensation. Form 61 is a denial of your claim, and must include an explanation of the reasons your claim as been denied. Form 63 is also an acknowledgement, but it allows the insurance company to later reverse their decision and deny your claim.

Many claims are denied at first even though by law they should be covered, and you have the right to request a hearing and appeal the decision. From this point on, the process becomes complex enough that it is a good idea to seek legal help.

Contact Mike Lewis Attorneys Today!

An attorney can assess your case and advise you on how to proceed. If you have been hurt on the job in NC, and are filing for workers’ comp or considering appealing a denial, contact Mike Lewis Attourneys in Winston-Salem and Greensboro, North Carolina right away.

Call 866-299-1769 or use the Free Case Evaluation form to schedule a free consultation.
  • How To Know If Your Workers’ Comp Claim Was Wrongly Denied

    How To Know If Your Workers’ Comp Claim Was Wrongly Denied

    Workers’ Compensation Attorneys Can Help With Denied Claims After an individual has been injured on the job, they could be eligible to receive workers’ comp benefits. Yet, in some cases, an injured worker’s claim may be denied, leaving them to …Read More »
  • The Most Accident-Prone Industries To Work In

    The Most Accident-Prone Industries To Work In

    Injured In an Accident? North Carolina Workplace Accident Lawyers Can Help Back in 1970 when Richard Nixon was president, Congress passed an act entitled “Occupational Safety and Health Act,” that was meant to enforce safety in the workplace. Since the …Read More »
  • Can I Be Fired For Seeking Workers’ Compensation?

    Can I Be Fired For Seeking Workers’ Compensation?

    North Carolina Workplace Accident Lawyers Handle Compensation Claims According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor and Statistics, “More than 11 million people work in natural resources, construction, and maintenance occupations.” While these jobs tend to be more hazardous than others, …Read More »
  • Who Can Be Excluded From Workers’ Compensation Coverage?

    Who Can Be Excluded From Workers’ Compensation Coverage?

    Hundreds of thousands of employees across the nation every year take advantage of workers’ compensation coverage to help them get through serious accidents they suffer in the course of their job duties. Whether it’s an accident with heavy machinery, repetitive …Read More »
Call Us Toll Free 866-299-1769