When an individual suffers from mental or physical trauma due to another’s negligence, it is often considered to be a personal injury. A personal injury could include actual physical harm such as broken bones during an accident, or psychological damages such as depression after the loss of a limb in a traumatic accident.
When anyone suffers from a personal injury they may be entitled to make a claim against the person or party who caused their injuries if it is found that the person or party responsible acted negligently or recklessly.
Each day thousands of persons are unintentionally injured. According to a 2010 National Hospital Ambulatory Care Survey more than 29.3 million persons visited the emergency room for an unintentional injury. Commonly, most people sought treatment for an injury after a fall, due to a motor vehicle traffic incident, or due to being accidentally struck against or by an object or person.
If you or a loved one has suffered a personal injury at the hands of another person or party, our Winston-Salem personal injury attorneys can help you fight for fair and just compensation.
Types of Personal Injury Damages
Dealing with a personal injury can be physically, mentally, and financially straining. While some insurance companies will work with you to cover the costs, others will attempt to provide inadequate coverage which means the victim ends up paying out-of-pocket costs.
With a trusted personal injury attorney by your side you can ensure yourself, or your loved ones, that you’re receiving the MAXIMUM amount of compensation you deserve for your personal injury.
The following is an explanation of the different types of personal injury damages.
- Medical Expenses – If a person suffers from physical harm their injuries could lead to medical bills to cover treatment, medications, surgery, physical therapy, and more. In some cases a person may need medical assistance for the rest of their life such as psychotherapy or medication for chronic pain. Medical compensation is one of the more common types of damages.
- Lost Wages – Suffering from a serious personal injury might also mean an individual is unable to return to work for several days and even weeks. Lost wage damages assist in recovering lost income on account of the personal injury.
- Property Damage – This type of damages commonly occurs if an individual suffers damage to a vehicle or their home, but might also extend to damage of a business and other possessions of value.
- Loss of Consortium – The loss of a loved one or suffering of a serious injury can be devastating not just to the victim but also to their spouse and family members. Loss of consortium provides damages to assist in covering the loss of marital relations as well as companionship, affection and household duties.
- Loss of Opportunity – Loss of opportunity is a type of damages awarded when an individual loses business or potential business opportunities due to their injury. For example, a business whose storefront was damaged by a reckless driver may be unable to open their doors and make money due to the damages.
- Pain and Suffering – Pain and suffering refers to physical or mental damage caused by a personal injury. Typically the elements of pain and suffering require proof that an individual’s quality of life has been lessened, that the victim has suffered lost wages, medical expenses, and that their length of care has been, or continues to be, extensive.
- Emotional Distress/Mental Anguish – This type of damages refers to the psychological side-effects of a personal injury such as depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, and more.
There may be a cap on the amount of damages an injury victim could receive; however, it is often in relation to the cause of the injury. For example, compensation for non-economic damages in a medical malpractice claim cannot exceed $500,000. The dedicated lawyers at Mike Lewis Attorneys can help you fight for the MAXIMUM amount of compensation you deserve under North Carolina Law.
Contact our Winston-Salem Attorneys
Suffering from any type of personal injury can be devastating on both families and the victim. At Mike Lewis Attorneys we sympathize with how debilitating some injuries can be and will work with you while you recover fully from your injuries to ensure that you receive fair and just compensation. We will pursue the MAXIMUM amount for all of the damages that you are eligible for, should you choose to file a lawsuit.
Our talented team of attorneys have more than 150 years of combined legal experience and will help guide you through the entire litigation process. We are proud to represent personal injury clients throughout North Carolina, including the following areas:
- Oak Ridge
- …and many more.
Don’t hesitate to contact us today about your personal injury case at 1-866-299-1769. Our intake staff members will connect you with one of our lawyers best suited in handling your claim after a few preliminary questions.
If you prefer to contact us online, fill out the ‘FREE CASE REVIEW’ form located at the top left hand corner of the page – it’s 100% FREE to submit.