How To Report Nursing Home Abuse

How do I Report Nursing Home Abuse in North Carolina?

There is nothing more frightening than suspecting that your loved one is being abused in a nursing home. At Mike Lewis Attorneys, the firm’s nursing home abuse lawyers are committed to ensuring that the negligent and abusive persons and institutions who have caused harm are held responsible for their actions.

If you become aware that a loved one is being abused, call the North Carolina elder abuse hotline at 1-800-662-7030. Or contact the Adult Protective Services program in your county through the North Carolina Division of Social Services portal.

The North Carolina Division of Aging and Adult Services evaluates nursing home abuse allegations through the Long Term Care Ombudsman Program. Ombudsmen advocate for nursing home residents and investigate all aspects of abuse in nursing homes.

They have a formal complaint process that family members and loved ones can use to pursue neglectful and abusive nursing homes. The Long Term Care Ombudsman Program is an advocating program not a regulatory agency.

It is important that you act to report nursing home abuse to the proper authorities. Many nursing home abuse victims may be unwilling or unable to report the abuse themselves. Victims need proper medical care and a safe environment.

Nursing Home Residents May Not be Able to Report Abuse

Despite their injuries, many nursing home abuse victims are reluctant to report incidences of abuse due to fears of retaliation. If you are aware of or suspect that abuse has occurred, take the following steps:

  1. Ensure that the individual has access to proper medical care right away.
  2. Call or email the Adult Protective Services department in your county. For the 24 hour hotline, call 1-800-662-7030.
  3. Collect information about the abuse, the perpetrator and contact information for all relevant parties.
  4. Report the abuse formally to the administrator of the nursing home.
  5. File a nursing home abuse complaint form with your local Ombudsman.
  6. Speak to an attorney to ensure that all relevant parties follow through.

The Sooner You Act, the Sooner the Abuse Stops

It is your right to challenge the nursing home’s care and treatment of your loved one. If you suspect abuse is occurring, immediately report it to the proper authorities and contact Mike Lewis Attorneys by phone at 1-866-299-1769 or by filling out the nursing home abuse form on this page.

Our firm excels at getting our clients justice; let us do the same in your case.