According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, death rates in small cars involved in multiple vehicle collisions are almost double that of large sedans. In single vehicle collisions, 11 people per million were killed in large sedans, while 35 per million were killed in small cars throughout 2007. Furthermore, mid-size vehicles also had 17 percent less of a death rate than small cars.
Smart cars may improve fuel economy and be better for the environment, however they have been proven to lack the protection of their larger vehicle counterparts. This is simply due to the fact that when these vehicles are involved in a collision with a larger vehicle, the larger vehicle will always inflict a great amount of force and damage on these small vehicles.
At Mike Lewis Attorneys, our Smart car accident lawyers have great sympathy for all injured victims of car accidents, and believe that if you or a loved one has been injured in a collision, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses and damages.
For more information, complete the Free Case Evaluation form or call 866-299-1769 today.
While the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has given Smart car a top rating for its side and front impact crashes. The institute reported that it compensates for the front-end crush space by the restraint system working harder to absorb more energy. The following information includes smart car safety features:
- Tridion Safety Cell: The tridion safety cell mimics a roll cage commonly found in race cars. It is composed of a tough steel design which can distribute the energy created during a collision.
- Crash Management System: This system includes a collapsible steering column, seat belt tenors, shuts off its engine, unlocks its doors, and activates its hazard lights in the event of a collision. Not to mention its eight airbags may also deploy.
- Electronic Stability Program: This feature allows the vehicle to remain steady, no matter what the terrain. This reduce the danger of swerving and is able to automatically react to dangers before you do. The vehicle will throttle the engine and break to help you remain in control.
- Anti-Lock Braking System: This feature is present in nearly all modern day vehicles. It prevents the brakes from locking and allows drivers to remain in control and maneuver while braking.
Even though Smart cars offer a good amount of protection, larger vehicles will always offer increased protection in the event of a collision. When compared to Honda and Toyotas mid-sized vehicles, the IIHS found these vehicles did better in crash tests than the Smart car.
Contact an Experienced Smart Car Accident Lawyer Today
If you or a family member has been injured in a Smart car accident, which was not your fault, it is highly recommended to seek legal counsel to handle your case. Our primary goal at Mike Lewis Attorneys is to take the worry away from your injury litigation and allow you to focus on a healthy recovery.
At our law firm we will fight to receive a fair and just auto accident settlement and have obtained over $10 MILLION in winning verdicts and settlements for our clients over the years. A few of our accolades our attorneys have obtained include:
- Mike Lewis has been AV Rated receiving the highest peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell* since 1995.
- Mike Lewis has been named one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in North Carolina
- Mike Lewis has been recognized as a Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers Magazine from 2009 to 2012 in personal injury.
- Mike Lewis has been recognized as a Best Lawyer by U.S. News-Best Lawyer in Personal Injury every year since 1995.
- Tier 1 Best Law Firm by U.S. News-Best Lawyer for 2010, 2011, and 2012 in Personal Injury and Eminent Domain.
- Tier 2 Best Law Firm U.S. News-Best Lawyer for 2013-2014 in Personal Injury and Eminent Domain.
For more information about our attorneys, we welcome you to contact us by completing the Free Case Evaluation or calling us at 866-299-1769 today.
*AV Preeminent® and BV Distinguished® are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the Bar and the Judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Information on the standards for Best Lawyers can be found at www.bestlawyers.com. Information on the standards for Super Lawyers can be found at www.superlawyers.com. Information on the standards for Martindale-Hubbell can be found at http://www.martindale.com/Products_and_Services/Peer_Review_Ratings.aspx. Information on the standards for Best Law Firms can be found at http://bestlawfirms.usnews.com/methodology.aspx.