A recently released report from the U.S Coast Guard has stated that of the 4588 boating accidents reported in 2011, over 750 deaths were largely attributed to either operator inexperience or lack of attention, improper lookout or excessive speed. What this means is that essentially, driver error was to blame.
Each summer, hundreds of people are injured on jet skis, boats, or while water-skiing, and as you might imagine, in many of these personal injury and property damage cases, alcohol and driving under the influence is a factor in these accidents.
At Mike Lewis Attorneys, we want you to be safe and enjoy the water, but please never mix alcohol and water sports. A few simple precautions can go a long way to keeping you and your loved ones safe when on the water:
- always remember to carry the proper number of approved flotation devices aboard
- be sure everyone knows how to use them
- jet skis should never be used in a heavily populated swimming area
- water skiers and their boat drivers should know all the proper safety rules.
By being aware of your surroundings and paying attention when at the helm of a watercraft, a lot of accidents resulting in serious personal injuries and property damage can be avoided.
What To Do After A Collision
Should you or a loved one be injured in a serious boating accident, there are some important steps that you must take as soon as possible in order to help strengthen any potential lawsuit that you may wish to file.
Some of these steps include (but not limited to):
- seek immediate medical attention for those who are hurt
- notify the local authorities immediately
- take photographs of the boat or jet ski, and the location of the accident
- collect the with names and addresses of those involved
- make note of the weather and any particular environmental conditions at the time of the collision
- obtain the names of any witnesses to the accident
The last point is very important, as many collisions and injuries involving boats are often caused by defective devices and equipment, operator error, or are alcohol-related, which means that people’s memories of the event can fade over time. With this in mind, it is important to obtain as many details as quickly as you can.
How A Boating Accident Attorney Can Help With Your Claim
The next important most step is to contact a North Carolina boating accident attorney. A knowledgeable legal advisor will be able to:
- provide an accurate assessment of the current situation
- help gather any additional information that is relevant to the case
- offer guidance on what to do next
Ultimately, these steps can help to construct a lawsuit that has the best possible chance of obtaining the maximum compensation payout for the injury victim.
If you or a loved one has sustained a boating injury that was caused by someone else, contact Mike Lewis Attorneys today. With many years of combined legal experience and our No Fee Promise, we have the skill set and resources to handle your boating injury litigation and there’s never a charge to evaluate your case.
Simply fill out the “Free Case Evaluation” form on the right to contact us today.